Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Roach's thoughts on Slam One Down part 1...

hey this is Roach from Slam One Down. This ain't my first time wranglin this thing called a blog, but it is my first time writing about my thoughts on this band. this is part 1 in a 3 part series...here we go...

I joined this band about four or five months ago through, of all things, an email i got from a profile i made on a website that i had forgotten about for years. I haven't played drums for many years, but i've been playing music since i was 9. I started playing drums around 2001 and since then i've played with and auditioned for what seems like millions of bands. I've played some good shows, ive played a lot of bad shows. I auditioned for shit bands and never gave it another thought. I auditioned for really good bands and sounded like shit myself. Especially living in new york, I've had almost every experience a musician can think of.

getting an email from a band looking for a drummer is probably the most common thing i can think of. I've had bands come out of the woodwork, finding me through whatever link they could and contacting me to jam with them. I've also done my part and searched for bands that were looking for drummers and dropped them a line. Joining an already established band is like going out with a girl who already has a house and a job. you really have to show her something spectacular to get her to even notice you.

When i first started playing drums, i auditioned for bands right off the bat. any bands too...acoustic rock, folk rock, heavy metal, punk. you name it i was there jamming with them. my first choice is heavy metal so that was what i was focusing on. My drum teacher had shown me everything he knew, from polka beats to jazz to latin beats, but he was a broadway show guy and wasnt knowledgable about any metal at all. So i decided to learn it myself. Listening to any music, any band that i could, i listened to the drum parts and memorized all the beats, fills, etc.

The first band i was in was an industrial metal band (think rob zombie with a dance beat) i did pretty well in that band and it was a good and easy way for me to learn how to play in a rock band setting. We played our first show and it was utter shit. i won't lie to you folks, i was not happy about this show one bit. aside from the technical issues (amps going out, mics not working) we just werent together and sounded horrible. it was a learning experience and something that hung on my mind from then on. i needed a lot of work...

...to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment