Wednesday, April 27, 2011

One for my brother, Garrett "I miss you already"

My brother Garrett passed away yesterday suddenly. He was 30 years old and left behind a beautiful wife Jessie and their gorgeous German Shepherd, Brody. He was one of the toughest and strongest people that I have ever known and had been battling for his life for 20 years. He has been through 3 kidney transplants and suffered through an array of invasive surgeries and was on dialysis since he was 10 years old. The reason I am writing this blog is to do what I do best and remind people to celebrate life. After you shed a tear for Garrett, please remember to grab the people you love most in life, tell them how much you love them and then go grab a cocktail or whatever it is that you do and enjoy life. Please make sure you raise one up for Garrett. That's what I am gonna do.
The other thing is that Garrett taught all of us a great lesson. Garrett had many dreams growing up. Among them was to become wealthy, fall in love, get married, have a family and live the rest of his life in good health. Due to his health condition, he had to fight harder than everybody else in this world to achieve that. And you know what, he almost achieved them all. So think about that dream or goal that you have in your mind and go for it, forget about all the little obstacles that get in the way.
I Love you Garrett and I miss you already! Of all the heroes in my life, I look up to you the most. You are my inspiration for life.

7 comments:

  1. JR, I am so sorry to hear about Garrett. Your brother was a fighter and a very strong person, being 10 yrs old and having to endure so much at such a young age he never let that stop him...he will be missed by many. We had a lot of great times when we were younger, i have a lot of memories and for that I am grateful.
    Love Cori

    ReplyDelete
  2. JR...I'm so sorry about Garrett. He was a great guy, and me, Ron and the kids prayed for him every night. We will keep all of you in our prayers now.
    Dina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear J.R. and family:

    I am so, so sorry for your loss. Thanks for letting me/us know more about Garrett through your amazing words, which show an extreme amount of courage and grace during this tough time.

    I raise a glass *clink* to your bro and to you and yours... many prayers of strength and peace.

    Love and hugs,
    Francine

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is def someone to be inspired by. U said it well,and no one can say it better Jay. He was a kool fuckin dude. See you when i get there brotha (As i raise this drink)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These words are extremely beautiful and certainly true in so many ways. Garrett was such a handsome and smart young man who's smile always stood out from the rest. Although he battled his health problems for most of his life I get the feeling that Garrett enjoyed each and every day that he was alive. I will go home tonight and give my wife and kids a big hug and raise a glass of wine in his memory. Rest in peace Garrett.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My deepest sympathy for your brother. I remember Garret as a kid with a great sense of humor. Gail and I have wonderful memories of you kids growing up in Howell---I rememeber how he stole the show at Cori's Bat Mitzvah with his "Vanallia Ice" immitation..
    Hang in there and stay well.
    Bill Sheik

    ReplyDelete
  7. JR, your post nailed it! He was a warrior and gave us all the strength and power to fight whatever it is we are all up fighting!

    ReplyDelete