Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Dimebag thoughts

It's pretty obvious that Dimebag was my favorite guitar player. I really miss that guy even though I never got to know him as a person. But I guess I didn't have to. He seemed like the kind of guy who told you who he was through his music and obviously on his crazy videos. He seemed like he has nothing to hide.
I have basically mimicked every aspect of his guitar playing. I have learned everyone one of his songs from beginning to end, every solo, every squeal. I remember being like 15 years old and watching all the home videos in my room and saying to myself..."That is going to be me one day." I made that promise to myself almost 15 years ago and I never stopped believing that I am going to do something like he did. THat is pretty amazing that a guy like Dimebag could do that to not only me but millions of 15 year olds to this day. I also remember wanting to be able to party like him. So when we were kids we would get beers and fucking rip shit up. I mean still to this day I throw bottles of beers in the middle of clubs and break them on the floor. I still smash shit, break shit and drink until I cannot see straight. I often say to myself, "What would Dime do at this moment?" Another great thing I learned from Dime was to shred on the guitar while being drunk. That took me years to master but it was well worth it.
My whole rhythm and lead style is based around Dimebag's influence. I would say 80% Dimebag, 10% all the other greats and 10% J.R. It's pretty cool to know that I have my own style and that you can recognize "JR's style". But it was Dime who gave me the drive to create it. As I continue on my musical path, my goal is to one day have Vinnie, Rex, & Phil hear my music and tell me that Dimebag would be proud. It's kind of my life's purpose at this point to make it happen.
Not to change subjects, but I am glad to see that they are doing an album for Dime. There are some cool cats on there. I think Metallica should man up and do something for him. But most importantly, the existing members of Pantera should start a festival, kind of like what Ozzy did with Ozzfest. They can even alter guitar players every year. At this point it would make sense to have Zack Wylde do it. Hopefully I could do it one day. It think it is absolutely ridiculous that those guys aren't jamming together. Get over it already. We only got one life on this planet, do the right thing. I often think to myself, how would the heavy metal world be different if he were still alive. I would guess that by now they would have settled their differences. They kept metal going in the right direction. I dont think that anyone is doing that right now. BUt you know for sure I have no problem taking that responsibility. I will raise the flag again for metal and show the world what its all about.
In closing, I felt the need to write this for a lot of different reasons. I didn't plan it out or anything I just typed my thoughts as they came to me. I really miss that dude even though he never really left me. He is in my heart everyday at least. His music has guided me through everything in my life and I cannot thank him enough for all the great things that he gave me. So it has now been five years, I remember when it happened. I was in Atlantic Çity that night partying away and I heard it while I was sleeping. As I digress...thank you Dimebag for everything you've given the world and hopefully some of us down here will make you proud.

J.R.
Slam One Down
or as Dime would say"Getcha Pull"

No comments:

Post a Comment